Top 5 Must Have Items for a New Mom and Baby

I will never forget how intensely anxious I felt standing in the middle of Babies-R-Us, a first time mom, holding the registry gun, no idea what I needed and didn't need. Close to two years later I've complied a list of my absolute favorite top 5 baby items. All but one item is still in daily use today.
 
Sofie the Giraffe

My sons first toy! Sofie is soft, squeeks, and is made from 100% natural rubber and non toxic paint. She has a distinctive smell so she plays on more senses than other teether toys. Her shape is perfect for small hands just learning to grasp. My son loved her. She went everywhere with us for the first year of his life.

Coconut Oil


This one really confused my family and may confuse you as well if you don't already know some of the amazing benefits that coconut oil offers. I do not put anything on my son's skin except coconut oil. I also use it on myself and take it internally. The benefits of coconut oil are seriously close to endless so I'll just touch on the few that drew me to it.

Affordable, increases milk supply for breastfeeding mamas, keeps morning sickness at bay, comforts a rashy baby bum, and eases teething pain.

I kept a plastic lidded container of coconut oil in my diaper bag. That was the only 'product' ever inside my bag for baby. I give coconut oil and properly airing out his bottom credit for the reason my son has only had a handful of diaper rashes that never lasted longer than a few hours.

Pregnancy Chime

This favorite goes by many names, Pregnancy chime, Mexican bola, angel caller, and belly chime. No matter which name you prefer this necklace is brilliant. When worn during pregnancy baby can hear the soft chimes of the ball. It's said to sooth and calm baby in and outside the womb. After birth, your baby will recognize that sound (along with your own sound and smell.) It's just another added familiarity in a big brand new world. It's also great during feedings; your little will enjoy playing with and hearing the sound of the necklace.

I ordered mine from eBay, it was very reasonably priced. The necklace string it came with wasn't quiet long enough to reach down to my belly button where it should be worn so I just replaced it with some leather cord I had left over from a previous craft. At 20 months, my son still loves to shake it and hear the sound.

Twilight Turtle


I added this to my registry without really knowing much about it and it turned out to be one of the very few items I still use almost 2 years later. The turtle has three different color settings, blue being our favorite and projects real constellations over the entire room. It gave off just enough light in the early postpartum months so I could easily see what I was doing during night nursing without disturbing my significant other.

The stars do not spin or twist or move. At first I was slightly bummed, but now I could care less. My son still loves to "star gaze" before bed and the fact they are stationary helps him look for and point out the crescent moon.

Baltic Amber Teething Necklace

Slightly skeptical, my son started wearing his around 4 months old. When he started teething around 6 months old I noticed a huge difference when he was wearing the necklace versus when it was off. He wasn't as fussy and the drool wasn't overflowing.

Not only is this great item for baby, but mama could benefit from one during and after pregnancy. Baltic Amber is a completely natural and drug-free way to relieve pain. When worn against the skin, the skin's warmth releases tiny amounts of healing oils containing succinic acid. This oil is then absorbed into the body. Despite what some believe, baby does not need to chew or suck on the necklace. Simply wearing around her neck, wrist, or ankle is enough.

Make sure to click the hyperlinks I've provided for more information.