Saying Goodbye to My Fertility

I didn't expect to be saying goodbye to my fertility so soon. I realize I am 40 years old and many women my age already have grandchildren. In fact, I see photos of beautiful grandbabies on the Facebook pages of many of the people I knew in high school. But I also see photos of pregnant friends, my age or close to it, including my own 40-year-old sister-in-law who gave birth to my little niece just a few months ago. When it comes to fertility, 40 is not so over the hill.

But this week I learned that I will likely be saying goodbye to my own fertility very soon, and in a very permanent way. The ultrasound screening my doctor prescribed, just to check and see if I might have a fibroid causing heavy menstrual bleeding and period pain, turned up several uterine fibroids. I'll soon be having a second ultrasound and then we'll be sitting down to discuss options.

What are fibroids?

Fibroids are non-cancerous tumors that grow inside and sometimes outside the uterus. They are quite common, and occur more frequently as a woman ages. They are one of the most common reasons for heavy bleeding and excess pain during a woman's menstrual cycle, and left untreated they usually get worse.

How are they treated?

I've done quite a bit of research this week to find out what my treatment options might be. A lot depends on how large the fibroids are and how badly a woman wants to have more children. Birth control pills or other hormone treatments can help to slow the growth of fibroids or shrink them. Surgical procedures can help shrink or remove the fibroids, too.

Getting rid of the pain

The best way to get rid of fibroids for good is to remove the uterus via a hysterectomy. Hysterectomies are the second most common surgery performed on women in the United States, behind Caesarean sections. Fibroids are often the reason that women choose to have this surgery.

Making a decision

I still need to talk with my doctor about my options, but I know that my menstrual periods have gotten increasingly painful and difficult over the past few years. Whether I choose a hysterectomy, birth control pills or another treatment, my years of fertility are likely over. The risks of giving birth to another preemie or miscarrying are high if I left the fibroids untreated and became pregnant.

I am truly blessed to have given birth to three beautiful children, especially after years and years of infertility. My husband and I would have been happy to welcome another had that been God's plan for us. But I am at peace with the realization that the door is likely closing on that part of our lives. I am preparing myself to say goodbye, forever, to my fertility and to carry on, thankful for what I have been given and looking forward to what is still to come.