A Bundle of Joy yet I Am Sad

Postpartum depression and I became well acquainted with my later pregnancies. However my first born son arrived just before my twenty-fourth birthday and for the most part I was a happy new mother. If I experienced postpartum depression then, it was very mild. My second son was born with numerous health problems and abnormalities. I was not a happy new mother. Whether it was postpartum depression or not I am not sure, for the stress of giving birth to a terminally ill baby is a challenge. My third son was born healthy and I was fairly happy, yet I had moments of being sad with no real reason. My fourth son was premature and a stillborn. I suspect that my depression and grief during that difficult time was complicated with postpartum depression. I had also by then experienced three miscarriages, all of which were followed with a period of deep depression. Then I struggled immensely with postpartum depression after the birth of my fifth son, almost to the point of being psychotic. My next pregnancy ended at 11 weeks gestation in a miscarriage and I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My last son was born healthy when I was 39 and I developed severe postpartum depression with psychosis.

There, I have just disclosed a history of depression. I should not be ashamed, nor should I be apologetic. People do not choose to be depressed. Being sad is not a choice any more than being happy is a choice. It is a misnomer that a person can think themselves into happiness. True depression is not easily swayed by entertaining happy thoughts. I have also heard people say that being sad is a tool of the devil. This is not true. Depression is not caused by the devil or by having evil thoughts. It is biological in nature. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance, change of hormone levels, or an environmental stress such as the death of a loved one.

The Cause of Postpartum Depression (PPD)

Postpartum depression is caused by the sudden change in hormones after child birth. A history of previous depression and the existence of external stresses are seen as contributing factors. It is estimated that up to 80 percent of new mothers will experience postpartum depression to some degree.

Looking back over my child rearing years I can see that I indeed had some level of postpartum depression for at least eight of my ten pregnancies. I honestly must admit that I was a mess. My symptoms of depression worsened with each pregnancy. I truly feared for the safety of my children. I was afraid of my own self. I would see on the news reports of mothers killing their children during a moment of psychosis from postpartum depression and I feared. It was my fear of myself that led to my reaching out for help.

Symptoms of Postpartum Depression (PPD)

The symptoms of postpartum depression are what gave birth to the term "baby blues" which people for centuries have referred to. This mild form may affect up to 80 percent of new mothers. The severe form, known as Postpartum Psychosis is said to occur in one out of every 1000 births.

I guess I really beat the odds for I experienced this severe form following three of my pregnancies. Here are the most common symptoms of postpartum depression according to the DSM-IV --

• Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day. Expressed (feels sad or empty) or observed by others (appears tearful).

• Loss of interest in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.

• Significant gain or loss in weight not due to dieting.

• Not able to sleep or sleeping too much nearly every day.

• Agitated and restless or sluggish and non-active every day.

• Fatigue and loss of energy nearly every day.

• Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt (guilt may be delusional) nearly every day.

• Unable to think clearly or to concentrate, being indecisive almost every day.

• Thoughts of death, suicidal ideations or plans to commit suicide, or suicide attempts.

To be diagnosed with PPD a person must have at least five of the above symptoms.

Treatment for Postpartum Depression (PPD)

PPD is most often treated with a combination of talk therapy and medication. However the use of estrogen or progestin looks promising. The anti-depressants used most often are Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor, and Serzone. They are often accompanied with anti-anxiety drugs like Lorazepam, Klonopin, and Ativan. Sometimes mood stabilizers such as Depakote and Lithium are also used. If a mother develops a psychosis treatment requires more intense measures such as psychiatric hospitalizations and stronger anti-psychotic medications. Cognitive behavioral psychotherapy and group therapy are often helpful. Once a woman experiences severe PPD following a pregnancy, future pregnancies should be well monitored.

As for me, I experienced almost all of the above. The most helpful treatment for me was a supportive husband and family. As for the medications which I tried, most had unpleasant side effects. Learning coping skills from a skilled therapist was what literally saved my life.