Shouldn’t All Fathers Receive Paid Paternity Leave?

Recently, I was reading about how Prince William was taking two weeks paid paternity leave to spend time with his wife, Kate Middleton, and his newborn son. Although Prince William doesn't need the money, it's nice that he was able to have the option of paid paternity leave. I am lucky enough to live in California, a state with a paid (well partially paid) Family Leave program. However, I know that many families do not have this luxury. It seems to me that all fathers should have the option to take advantage of paid paternity leave. After all, family is important, right?

My Experience

When I had my first child, I remember being lucky enough get about six weeks of partially paid maternity leave. In order to get my paid maternity leave, I had to jump through a lot of hoops. There was quite a bit of paperwork. Even though it was obvious I was pregnant, I had to prove that I had a baby (with notes from doctors, etc). When my second child was born, I worked for myself. Thus, there wasn't any paid leave. As for my husband, he had some personal leave he was able to take. Our son had to stay in the NICU for several days. Thus, I was glad to have him around for support and to be there for our daughter. However, then he had to go back to work. After all, someone had to keep making money. Living on one partial salary wasn't going to cut it. I enjoyed the time he was home and wish it could have been longer.

The U.S. is Behind


According to the huffingtonpost.com, due to the " Family Medical Leave Act of 1993" parents in the U.S. are "guaranteed their jobs for 12 weeks after the arrival of a new baby." However, this is unpaid leave. Unfortunately, "only about 16 percent of employers offer" maternity leave with 100% of a woman's pay. Yet, it is worse for fathers. A Forbes article reports that "only 13% of employers offer paid paternity leave." Countries such as Brazil, France, the Netherlands and Spain offer several months of full maternity and paternity leave. For six weeks, the U.K. offers "90% of pay" for both moms and dads. After that, they can receive a "flat rate" for several months longer. The United States is one of the only countries that doesn't guarantee paid maternity leave.

Paternity Leave Stigma

Many parents have pressure to return to work sooner than later. Some men often feel like they won't appear dedicated to their job. Likewise, when it comes time for promotions or layoffs, they think their boss might remember them taking a longer paternity leave. In general, I think our work-work-work mentality in the United States contributes to this stigma. The only way this will change is if the workplace adopts family-friendly practices. Also, the government needs to mandate paid maternity and paternity leave. Furthermore, dads shouldn't have to be embarrassed about taking paternity leave. In the end, shouldn't we be encouraging fathers to be active caregivers? I think so.

The birth of a child is a special time. It's too bad more families in the U.S. (and elsewhere) feel forced to go back to work earlier than they would like.