Signs of Premature Labor: Early Pregnancy Symptoms

When you are pregnant, you worry about so many things. You want to make sure you are doing everything just right for the baby. The scary part is that even if you do everything the exact way you should your baby might come early and be premature. In most cases doctors don't know exactly what causes babies to be premature, but if you know the signs and symptoms of your pregnancy ending early, then you have a good chance of both you and your baby being healthy.

I wasn't expecting to have my baby early; it was more than a month before my due date and I was still finishing my daughters room, and buying all the things I needed for her. My first sign of early pregnancy was when I lost my mucus plug, I wasn't quite sure what was happening. Two days after I lost my mucus plug, my water started to slowly leak. I wasn't sure what was happening at first, it was only once in a while and I would have a small amount of liquid leak out. At first I thought I wasn't able to hold my pee, then I realized what was actually happening. I went into the hospital to labor and delivery. They checked to see if I was actually leaking amniotic fluid. They tried to give me several drugs that would help stop r slow down my labor, nothing worked for me. I had to deliver my baby 6 weeks early. My daughter was three pounds 1 ounce and had to spend two weeks in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit, or NICU. My daughter had a few small problems, but she did very well. My daughter is now 2 years old and is doing great, nobody would ever know she was a premature baby.

When you are pregnant there are several things that you should watch for. If you see any of these signs or symptoms you should call your doctor or go into the labor and delivery at the hospital. If you start to have early pregnancy symptoms it is important to find out why they are happening, and to try and get them taken care of. Doctors can often prevent premature delivery by prescribing something as simple as bed rest.

One of the first signs of a early pregnancy is often losing your mucus plug. If you lose your mucus plug you will often notice it when you are going to the bathroom, or you will notice a thick wet mucus on your panties. While losing your mucus plug can be a sign of early pregnancy, this is not necessarily anything to worry about. Often women will lose their mucus plug weeks before giving birth.

Another sign of an early pregnancy is wanting to sleep. While any women are tired during most f their pregnancy, this is different. When you feel this all you want to do is sleep, this is because your body is getting ready for labor. This is often overlooked. If this symptom is your only symptom that this is probably nothing to worry about, but if it accompanies other signs or symptoms then you should let your doctor know.

One of the most obvious signs of early pregnancy is your water breaking. Thanks to television and movies most women expect their water breaking to be a dramatic event, but often it is nothing more then a trickle. It is more common for your amniotic fluid to start leaking slowly rather then a big burst. When your water breaks this is usually a sign that labor will soon follow. If your water breaks be sure to call your doctor or go into labor and delivery at the hospital.

Another sign that is very obvious is if you start getting contractions. Don't confuse real contractions with the Braxton-Hicks contractions that you have probably been having for the past several months. When you start to have labor contractions they will continuously get stronger and closer. Looking back I realize that I was having small contractions for a couple days. Some women don't realize that they have having labor contractions until they are in the second stage of labor. If you think you might be having contractions call your doctor or go into the hospital, don't worry they have heard all kinds of crazy questions they will be happy to help you.

They good news is that even if you have an early pregnancy with a premature baby the odds are good that both you and your baby will be healthy. The odds are in your favor if you had a healthy pregnancy, and you had good prenatal care. If you have any signs of a premature labor be sure to talk to your doctor because they can often do things that can help stop or slow down an early pregnancy. When you are having a premature baby every extra day that the baby can stay inside you makes a huge difference.